The hand therapy services at NRH Regional Rehab centers are specially designed for persons with:
- Carpal tunnel syndrome and other nerve compression disorders
- Cumulative trauma and overuse disorders, including tendinitis
- Trauma to the hand, including lacerations, crush injuries, and fractures
- Post-operative reconstructive procedures, including joint replacements for arthritis
- Repetitive motion disorders in the upper extremities
Services OfferedUpon referral, an experienced NRH Regional Rehab occupational or physical therapist completes a full evaluation of the affected extremity. Following the evaluation, an individualized treatment program is developed to address the patient’s needs. The program is modified as necessary throughout the course of therapy to maximize functional outcome and use of the injured or affected extremity. Services offered include:
- Fabrication of splints and other orthotic devices to increase range of motion, and to improve protective, corrective, or functional positioning
- Instruction in and assistance with wound care, edema control, and scar management
- Intervention for management of pain resulting from surgery, overuse, and trauma, including use of thermal modalities as necessary
- Desensitization and sensory re-education following nerve trauma
- Design and implementation of personalized exercise and activity programs to improve functional use of hands and upper extremities by increasing strength, coordination, dexterity, and range of motion
- Retraining in daily living skills, using adapted methods and equipment as appropriate
- Work simulation and graded activities to increase work conditioning and tolerance, and to improved the patient’s ability to return to work
- Instruction in joint protection, energy conservation, and work simplification techniques
- Evaluation of the patient’s jobsite or workstation to provide recommendations for modifications aimed at decreasing the incidence of cumulative trauma disorders or at preventing recurrence of such disorders
We encourage close communication and coordination among referring physicians, surgeons, case managers, therapists, and patients. This partnership approach is an important part of the philosophy of patient care in the NRH Regional Rehab Network.Through its affiliation with MedStar Health, NRH Regional Rehab is home to a number of Certified Hand Therapists (CHT) or Occupational and/or Physical Therapists specializing in the upper extremity. These therapists possess a high degree of specialization requiring continuing education and, often, advanced certification in rehabilitating patients with conditions affecting the hand and upper extremity.
Staff and FacilitiesNRH Regional Rehab is staffed by a team of experienced therapists
. The senior-level occupational and physical therapists have many years of experience in hand and upper extremity rehabilitation. In addition, patients treated at the center may benefit from the wealth of expertise available at NRH.
Financial ArrangementsNRH Regional Rehab participates in Blue Cross/Blue Shield and Medicare and is approved by most major insurance carriers and health maintenance organizations. A case manager or office manager will discuss your insurance with you at the time of the referral. To learn more about our services, to arrange a tour, or to make a referral, please call the closest site to you.