||A range of services are offered: from emergent care, evaluation and treatment, to sports clinics staffed by certified athletic trainers and therapists.|
MedStar SportsHealth—with NRH Regional Rehab as its linchpin outpatient rehabilitation arm—will soon offer emergent sports medicine care and rapid access to services at MedStar’s Montgomery General Hospital, expanding a program that reaches north into Baltimore and as far south as Southern Maryland.
The Montgomery General Sports Medicine Center is a joint service between Montgomery General Hospital and NRH Regional Rehab—our network of more than 30 outpatient centers located in D.C., Maryland and Virginia.
The NRH outpatient network is a critical component of MedStar’s comprehensive sports program, which provides sports medicine services for amateur and professional athletes. MedStar SportsHealth serves as the official medical team for several professional franchises, including the Baltimore Ravens and Baltimore Blast, and is affiliated with more than a dozen area collegiate and recreational sports teams.
“Now patients and physicians in the region can find all they need in one location for speedy evaluation of an urgent sports injury and complete diagnosis and treatment—as well as rehabilitation through NRH’s cadre of therapists with advanced training in sports medicine,” explains John Brickley, vice president for NRH ambulatory services.
The site is modeled after the highly successful program at MedStar’s Union Memorial Hospital Sports Medicine Center in Baltimore, managed by John Bielawski, NRH regional director of sports medicine. “For more than a decade, we have been building the Baltimore-Washington area’s most comprehensive continuum of care in sports medicine,” Bielawski says. “The new center is helping us expand our reach with yet another convenient service point for physicians and their patients.”
This coordinated continuum of care offers physicians and patients a number of advantages, including:
- A toll-free phone line (1.888.44SPORT) for access to a certified athletic trainer on-call from 9 am to 6 pm, Monday through Friday, to affiliated sports medicine specialists, or to one of NRH Regional Rehab locations
- Weekend injury calls answered by an automated service where callers may leave messages, which are retrieved by certified athletic trainers who contact callers before the weekend is out.
- Evaluation, and surgical and non-surgical treatment, rehabilitation and injury preventive care and advice delivered though a single network of care.
- Development of a comprehensive rehab plan of intervention.
- Close contact with patients’ referring physicians, who remain an integral part of the treatment team.
Call toll-free to talk with a certified athletic trainer and referral to a sports medicine physician or to the Sports Medicine Program at NRH Regional Rehab: 1.888.44SPORT.